Saturday, June 9, 2012

Thirty by Thirty? Now what did I mean by that.....

Hey, do you guys remember that time I started a blog about losing thirty pounds by my thirtieth birthday?!?!  It was so exciting and inspiring the way I got within just four pounds of my (revised) goal weight.  And it was such an interesting twist when I gained six pounds on my vacation to Washington, but guaranteed I’d be at goal before I turned 31.  That’s when I mysteriously disappeared from the weight loss blogging world for the next ten months.  Ahhhh--  What a hoot, right?

Only, wrong.  Because the moment I turned thirty, two things happened.  One:  My metabolism lurched to a halt, causing me to gain a pound every time I ate an extra cracker at lunch, and Two:  My memory was hi-jacked, and I thought my goal was to gain thirty pounds, not lose it.

Well let me tell you this folks, mission accomplished.  Mission.  Accomplished.  I wish that I were lying, or at the very least, exaggerating, but alas I am not.  For those of you who are not math majors, I’ll summarize my calculations:  I am now approximately 10 pounds heavier than I was when I started my whole 30 by 30 blog last February.  Depressing, no?

And it’s not as if I don’t know how it happened.  Basically, I grew tired of healthy living.  I missed my trio of old friends High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, and The Drive Through.  And somewhere along the line I forgot my reasons for wanting to lose weight in the first place.  Sure, it was nice to actually enjoy clothes shopping again, but it seemed nicer to enjoy dining out again.  I really enjoy dining out.

Also, with the purchase of our first home, my love of clothes shopping was immediately replaced  with my love of home decor shopping.  And let me tell you, there are no fitting rooms in Pottery Barn.

So basically, I spent the last 6 or 7 months delightedly free from any sort of diet.  I went from room to room adding homey touches here and there, [mostly] oblivious to the fact that I was putting on weight faster than I could say, “I’ll have a number ten, and make it a SUPER-SIZE!”

But as they say, “All good things must come to an end.”  And for me, the end of my ‘this-is-so-much-fun-eating-whatever-I-want-calories-be-darned phase was the day my elastic pants felt a bit snug.  I have oft touted the benefits of warm-ups, but lovers of the elastic pant beware:  they can, eventually, be outgrown.  Sad, but true.

And the day that I outgrew mine marked a cross-roads of such.  I was faced with two choices: A.  Do something about my unhealthy choices, or B. Buy bigger pants.  Decisions, decisions.  To tell you the truth, I’m still not quite sure which road I will take.  Obviously, I want to be healthy, but I’ve tried to start a diet and exercise plan several times with no real gumption.  I just seem to lack motivation...and a metabolism that can burn more than two carrots and a banana.

Some of you may now be thinking, “Why is she telling us this if she hasn’t even decided what to do!?”  Well here is why:  In about two months, I will be going back to Washington State to visit, and I want to avoid that awkward moment when my friends and I see each other and we’ve already said, “Good to see you again!” but now they are thinking, “Wow, she got kind of chubby” and I am thinking, “OMG, they think I’m chubby--I should have warned them!!” but neither one of us wants to say it out loud, so we just keep staring at each other with these weird plastered smiles on our faces.

You’re welcome.


In all seriousness, I could use some inspiration, some motivation.  Some wise words of encouragement to aid me in my decision.  Also, I could use a personal trainer and chef.  You may send donations with checks addressed to “Rebecca’s Home Decor Fund”, er, wait that’s not right....

1 comment:

  1. I'm literally just sitting down to write a VERY similar post:)

    Maybe we can inspire each other!

    ReplyDelete