Saturday, April 30, 2011

Week 9: This Omnivore's Dilemma

Total Weight Lost:  10 lbs

A month or so ago, a friend of mine recommended I read, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” by Michael Pollan.  For her, it acted as the catalyst for a complete diet makeover.  I did not have high hopes that it would do the same for me.  After all, I watched “Supersize Me” a couple of years ago and the only thing I got out of it was an increased hankering for french fries.  But I consider this friend to be quite intelligent and reasonable (we both have a completely rational fear of moths), and I decided to give the book a try.  I’ve had it for weeks, but I just started reading it on Tuesday.  I’m not quite finished, and I already have plenty to think about.  I can no longer eat lunch blissfully ignorant about where my food came from. 

Pollan explains that the omnivore’s dilemma is having the ability to eat lots of different foods, but having the responsibility of knowing which of those foods are actually beneficial.  The dilemma has been around for ages, but it is now more complicated than ever.  We have literally thousands of foods at our fingertips (or at least a short car ride away at the grocery store), and most of us have no clue how they got there.  Which is why Pollan wrote his book: to reveal to us the secret life of the American food.

The book is chock full of interesting tid-bits, many of which I have already forgotten.  A few things, however, have really stayed with me.  The first one is the extent to which pesticides get into our food supply.  I think it is pretty common knowledge that pesticides are used on the majority of American farms, but I had no idea just how bad they are for us and our environment.  And they are in EVERYTHING.  Because they are used to grow corn, and it turns out, corn is in everything.  Which brings me to the next sliver of information that is now rooted in my brain forever:

Almost all of the cattle raised for beef in the United States are raised on corn.  And cows do not naturally eat corn.  I think this is another thing that we all, no matter how removed we are from farming, know.  We picture cows out in green pastures of grass eating, well, green pastures of grass.  Not being stuffed full of corn and several other much more disgusting things that I will not mention here in case any of you are enjoying a nice juicy hamburger while reading this.  The point is, it’s not good for cows to eat corn, and it is not good for us to eat cows who have been eating corn.

Now that I have this information I have to decide what to do with it.  I could probably do the convenient thing, which is nothing, and rest assured that in a matter of weeks my mind, which becomes more feeble every day, will forget.  I could also do the responsible (albeit expensive) thing: refuse to buy produce that is not organically grown, only buy beef which is pasture raised, and only buy meat which is humanely raised.  Well, as humanely as possible before it is slaughtered for my dinner (this blog begs the question of vegetarianism, but I will save that for another entry).

In all likelihood, I will be somewhere in the middle.  I think I will buy organic whenever I can, and look into the meat options in southern Maryland.  I have not seen any pasture raised beef for sale here, but then again, I haven’t been looking.  The biggest thing I can do to vote ‘no’ on pesticides is to join our local CSA.  We have a certified organic farm right here in Lexington Park which allows its CSA members to ‘shop’ at a private farmer’s market every Friday afternoon.  To find your own local options, check out http://www.localharvest.org.

Allie with the ultimate bribe: a tootsie pop

In other news, Allison got her first ever hair cut this week!  It was not by choice (I’ve been waiting so her Grandma could do it), but by necessity.  We left New York late Monday night, and didn’t get home until 2 am on Tuesday.  We all slept in and spent the majority of the day relaxing and recuperating.  It wasn’t until Wednesday morning, when I finally got around to combing Allie’s hair, that I noticed the Swedish Fish egg matted in her curls.  Mother of the year, right?  Anyway, I found a salon that could get us in.  I told Allie that I would get my haircut too, so she could see what it would be like.  She actually got to see exactly what it would be like because they gave Allison and me identical haircuts.  The cut looks cute on Allie, but I look like a thirty year old woman with the hair style of a three year old.  Inventor of the ponytail--I salute you.
Our mother-daughter hair cuts

7 comments:

  1. Cute haircuts! Here are some pony tail holders that I really like, for some reason: http://thetwistband.bigcartel.com/. I can't use them, right now - chopped my annoyingly long hair off and now I'm much happier with it... but bummed that I can't use the cute pony tail holders, anymore. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. And food... there are some things that make me want to stick my fingers in my ears and go "La la la la la la..." Hearing about where food comes from is one of them. I should pay more attention - processed food really grosses me out, if I stop to think about it for too long, but do I stop eating it? Nooooo... *double sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the books that I think everyone should read. Food Rules is another good one, and so is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (Kingsolver).

    Jeremy and I are members of our local CSA that works the same as yours. Every Saturday, we go to the Poulsbo market and get whatever we need.

    Now, we aren't able to get everything at the farmer's market, but usually a little bit later in the year, we end up with:
    - lettuce, zucchinis, squash, peas, and anything else veggies.
    - beef from a local farmer (from sequim)
    - local cheeses and smoked salmon
    - bread for lunches
    This is what usually ends up in our bags. I just love it. There is ice cream there too, but we don't buy it regularly. We also do breakfast there. We look forward to it all week.

    Hope that you'll find something that works for you and your family! :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. The haircuts are cute! I'm so glad that you found The Omnivore's Dilemma interesting/helpful! If buying everything organic isn't possible at least avoid the dirty dozen.
    http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/332/the-new-dirty-dozen-12-foods-to-eat-organic-and-avoid-pesticide-residue.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. the haircuts are absolutely adorable!! silly you, you both look very sweet. and just wait till you're actually 30, you'll be happy to have a haircut that makes you look so much younger ;)
    good thinking on the pesticides and such. i have started buying organic and free range and all this sort of stuff about a year or two ago and even though it is more expensive i believe that as more people hop on that train it will become more affordable as well. it's good to show that there is a demand for _healthy_ foods.
    loved your blog entry - as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with everyone else - the haircut is cute! It's probably a good thing that I think so because it's very similar to my own style :) I'm glad that you were able to find a CSA in your town. It seems so unfair that in this area we have literally dozens to choose from so we can comparison shop and select which farm works best for our budget, tastes, unique needs, etc. It's unfortunate it's not like this in more places. Ps. I'm a fan of the bun as well as the pony :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, kind-hearted-souls, for the hair-cut approval. You're right, it's really fine when it is all styled. Unfortunately, I usually barely have time to brush it. And unstyled, it dries in this triangular-ish poof; think the woman in Dilbert. ;)

    Thanks, all, for the comments and for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete